The experts at Coleman & Davis Artisan Chocolate in Provo, Utah share their recipe for a killer campfire treat.
STEP 1: Make the Marshmallows
- 7 gelatin sheets (soak in 7 cups cold water)
- 2 cups granulated organic sugar
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar (dusting pan and cut marshmallows)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon Redmond salt
- 1/2 teaspoon 4 fold Tahitian vanilla extract (2 tsp regular)
- Soak gelatin sheets in 7 cups cold water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Dust an 8 x 8” pan with powdered sugar.
- Add sugar and ½ cup cold water to saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove gelatin sheets from cold water when soft. Gently wring gelatin sheets to remove excess water.
- Add gelatin sheets to saucepan and whisk until dissolved.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Remove from heat, pour into mixing bowl, cool so that mixture is warm but not hot.
- Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Beat for 10 to 15 minutes with stand mixer or immersion blender until volume has doubled and is soft.
- Pour into 8×8” pan (should be about 1/2 inch thick).
- Cool until marshmallow is not sticky.
- Cut to desired size and lightly coat with powdered sugar.
STEP 2: Make the Graham Crackers
- 8 1/2 ounces graham flour
- 3 ounces chilled cultured European unsalted butter (cubed and well chilled)
- 2 1/2 ounces organic Demerara/ Turbinado sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces organic blackstrap molasses
- 2 ounces organic all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 ounces organic (not ultra pasteurized) whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Redmond salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Rumford Aluminum-free Non GMO baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon 4 fold Tahitian vanilla extract (1/2 tsp regular strength)
- Cube butter and place in refrigerator for 30 min.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in stand mixer on low 1 min.
- Add cold butter; mix until incorporated. Add milk, black strap molasses, and vanilla extract.
- Mix 1-2 min until dough formed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hr.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Unwrap chilled dough and place between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Hand press and then roll dough until 1/8-inch thick.
- Place dough onto baking sheet.
- Cut dough vertically and horizontally into squares.
- Use a fork to well perforate the top of the dough.
- Bake 25 min middle rack until edges darken
- Remove and allow to completely cool.
- Break graham crackers along cut lines.
STEP 3: Assemble the S’mores
- 2 graham crackers
- 1 marshmallow
- 1 square Coleman & Davis chocolate
- Place marshmallow on top of graham cracker.
- Use kitchen torch (or a campfire, if you’ve got it) to gently brown the top of the marshmallow on the graham cracker.
- Place square of Coleman & Davis chocolate on top of warm marshmallow.
Place second graham cracker on top and serve immediately.